Telangana, the newly formed state of India is well renowned for its major tourist attractions. It separated from Andhra Pradesh and became the 29th state of India. After the separation, Hyderabad became the joint capital of Telangana with Andhra Pradesh. Hyderabad is also among the top cities of India. The state is filled with monuments, attractions, temples, and exuberant scenic beauty which have led to the rise of Telangana tourism among the travel enthusiasts. It is the 12th largest state in India and boasts of a vivid cultural significance. The population of the state is around 3.5 million and the people here are very friendly. The literacy rate of Telangana is relatively lower and is measured at 66.46%.
History of Telangana
Telangana history is quite rich and has a significant importance in the Indian history as well. It has been ruled by many famous dynasties including the Satavahana Dynasty and Delhi Sultanate among many others. Previously after the independence, a state with name Hyderabad was formed, but it was then given the name Andhra Pradesh. In the year 2014, a resolution was passed to separate the state of Telangana from Andhra Pradesh. Telangana Formation Day falls on 2 June and India got its 29th state on this day.
Geography of Telangana
The state of Telangana is majorly situated in the Deccan Plateau. It widely covers a region of 44,340 sq miles in the south eastern part of India. The state boasts of some of the most important rivers of India including the Godavari River and Krishna River. The state of Maharashtra borders it on the North West and Chhattisgarh borders it on the north. Andhra Pradesh, the state from which it separated covers it from South East. You will find excellent connectivity to transport throughout the villages and cities of Telangana.
Biodiversity of Telangana
Just like most of the states in India, Telangana has a rich biodiversity including many forests, rivers, waterfalls and some excellent scenic beauty in many regions. It has many national parks and sanctuaries which accommodate many animals in them. The state has a wide variety of flora and fauna throughout the region. It is one of the states of our incredible India that is rich in biodiversity.
Climatic Conditions of Telangana
Primarily, Telangana lies in a semi arid area and thus it boasts of a hot and dry climate throughout the year. Summer is at peak in the month of May and temperatures can go up to 42 Degree Celsius. Monsoon is from June to September and it makes for an ideal visiting time. However, the best time to visit Telangana is from November to February when there is an onset of winter and the climate is relatively cool.
Telangana has a combination of multiple cultures including the Persian culture and traditions. The capital of Telangana, Hyderabad boasts of similar cultures and had a past full of traditional significance. The best way to know about Telangana is to explore its culture and traditions that is deeply rooted in all its aspects including food, clothing, monuments, arts and everything else.
Interesting Facts about Telangana
- Telangana is home to the 2nd largest fair in India, which is the Sammakka Saralamma Jatara.
- The state was formed in the year 2014.
- The state fruit of Telangana is Mango and is widely available here.
- Agriculture is the main driver of economy here and rice is the staple food crop which it earns money from.
- The place was previously ruled by Mughals and Nizams so you will find a cultural resemblance of both these ethnicities in Telangana.
- Some of the famous people who belong to Telangana include Zakir Hussain, Dia Mirza, Mohammad Azharuddin and many more.
Telangana Tourism: Best Tourist Attractions
Beautiful vacation spots and natural beauty give rise to tourism in Telangana. People who are on an India wide tour must visit Telangana to relish the tourist in them. The cultural and traditional feel of Telangana is surprisingly very pleasant and you will have a great time on your holidays in the state. It has a lot to offer for tourists and below are some of the best places to visit in Telangana.
- Temples and Places of Worship: Not only Telangana but probably all the holiday destinations in India have a few famous religious places that you must not miss out on. The Thousand Pillar Temple is an architectural marvel and you will have a hard time believing that such a beautiful temple was made by mere human hands. Another popular temple in the state is the Sri Raja Rajeshwara Temple.
- National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries: Visiting the national parks and wildlife sanctuaries is always a pleasurable experience for tourists and Telangana won’t disappoint you in this regard as well. Some of the popular national parks in the state are KBR National Park, Mrugavani National Park and Nehru Zoological Park among others. You will find many exotic animals and birds at these parks.
- Adventure Sports: A lot of tourists like to indulge in adventure sports while on their holidays and there are various places in Telangana where you can enjoy them. Bhongir and Vikarabad are two such places where you can try out adventurous activities such as hiking, rappelling, etc. Do try out these places if you want a quick adrenaline rush. You can also head to any of the beaches for some light adventurous activities during your holidays.
- Monuments: Telangana has many popular monuments which are famous throughout India. Some of the popular monuments in the state are Char Minar, Salarjung Museum, Qutub Shahi Tombs, Paigah Tombs and Mecca Masjid among others. These are only a few places and you will find many more once you start exploring the place.
While you are on your holiday to Telangana, you can choose to stay at top end hotels and resorts. Accommodation is not an issue in the state and tourists have an easy time finding and staying in Telangana. Along with Telangana tourist places, visit the haunted places in the state too for adding thrill to your holidays.
People of Telangana
People of Telangana are extremely friendly and courteous towards everyone. You will feel at home while on your holidays there. The regional language that is majorly spoken and predominant in Telangana is Telugu. However, even Urdu is widely spoken throughout the state. Even Hindi and English being popular have a wide acceptance here. The popular folk dance of Telangana is Gusadi Dance which you can witness while on your stay here.
Indian tourism is widely known for the cuisine it offers in different parts of the country. In most of the restaurants and eating destinations, you will find rotis (Chapattis) made up of millets. Uppudi Pindi is also a popular food item which is basically broken rice and is consumed with another side dish. The gravy and curry of Telangana is known as Koora and you must definitely try it out if you want to make the most out of your visit to Telangana.
Major Festivals in Telangana
India is a country which boasts of so many festivals and they rightly depict the vivid culture that we have. Telangana in itself has various festivals that it is widely known for. The most popular festival of the state is Bathukamma. It marks the onset of Sharath Ruthu and is celebrated by women of Hindu religion. The festival is held in the months of September or October just before the festival of Dussehra. Bonalu is another festival which is celebrated for Goddess MahaKali. It is also a part of the people’s rituals here which is considered as thanksgiving for fulfillment of all the vows.
Popular Fairs in Telangana
The second largest fair in India after Kumbh Mela is held here in Telangana and is known as Sammakka Saralamma Jatara. It is held after every 2 year in a small village named as Medaram. If you happen to be here around the time this fair is held, make it a point to visit it, you will be stunned. This fair is a gathering of tribal people and is meant to commemorate the struggle and fight of a mother and daughter which was done against the reigning rulers in the past era.
Clothing Trends in Telangana
Mostly, one of the traditional dresses for married women here is a saree, just like most parts of India. Unmarried women choose to wear Langa Voni, Salwar Kameez and Churidaar which is available in many varieties here. For men, Dhoti and Kurta is quite popular which they tend to wear on special occasions. The overall clothing trends are similar to other parts of the country.
Currently, Telangana is focused on growth and making its tourism ecosystem more vibrant. A huge focus to startups and IT development can also be witnessed throughout the state. Most importantly, the government is highly focused on creating jobs, huge industries and making it a developed state. It is also attracting people who want to conduct their businesses in the state. Hopefully, the state will make India proud at many levels in the years to come.
List of Districts of Telangana
|2||Komram Bheem district|