Uttarakhand is a state of scenic beauty and offers some of the most stunning locales in India. Chamoli is a district in the state which is famous for pilgrims. Even by the size of it, Chamoli is the second largest district in Uttarakhand. The beautiful place has Tibet towards its north and is covered by Pithoragarh and Bageshwar to the east, Almora to the south, Garhwal to the southwest, Rudraprayag to the west, and Uttarkashi to the northwest. All these districts that surround it ensure better connectivity and accessibility to Chamoli. One of the startling facts of the district is that around 855 km sq. of the area is claimed by China. It attracts a lot of tourists and is one of the most visited districts in Uttarakhand.
Garhwal, which translates to the land of forts, is a town in the district of Chamoli. It is believed as per the facts that Ramayana and Mahabharata were both scripted at Kedar-Khand which is now known as Garhwal. Many historians also believe that Chamoli is the place from where Aryans first originated. Due to the devastating earthquake of 8th September 1803, the economic and administrative set up of the district was completely shattered.
Geography of Chamoli
Chamoli is a district that lies in the Central Himalaya and it also constitutes a significant part of the Kedar Kshetra. In total, the area of the district is around 7520 km sq. One can find many different types of minerals in the district including Asbestos, Magnestic, Soapstone and Copper among others. This is due to the geology of the place.
Climatic Conditions in Chamoli
- Since the place is at around 800 to 8000 mts. above sea level, Chamoli climate depends a lot on its altitude. Summer season is not much felt in the district as the highest ever temperature recorded here is 34 degree Celsius.
- Most of the rainfall here occurs in the months of June to September. The temperature stays low during the monsoon and the monsoon currents enter the district through the valley.
- The winter season here lasts from November to March and the temperatures are said to fall below 10 degree Celsius every now and then. A considerable amount of snowfall is also experienced in the region owing to the proximity to the Himalayas. Many people also visit here just to witness the snowfall in Chamoli.
Best Time to Visit Chamoli
Although Chamoli weather is amazing throughout the year, the best time to visit Chamoli is from the months of November to March when it is experiencing winter. In case you are visiting the place for the valley of flowers, you definitely need to go there in the months of July or August.
Chamoli Tourism: Popular Tourist Attractions to Visit
Mainly Chamoli is visited by people who are religious and are on a pilgrimage. Thus, most of the tourists here are Indians residing in different parts of the country. The place is also host to many foreign tourists due to the culture and tradition that it holds. Indian tourism at a whole has benefited a lot from a place like Chamoli which attracts so many tourists. If you visit Chamoli, don’t miss out on these amazing places there:
- Badrinath: Badrinath is considered among the prime Hindu religious places in India. The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and almost everyone doing pilgrimage is said to come here at least once in their lifetimes.
- Gopinath Temple: This temple is built by Raja Saggar and dedicated to Lord Shiva. It attracts a lot of pilgrims and tourists being one of the major attractions of Chamoli district. The temples in Chamoli are quite famous and this is one of them.
- Gopeshwar: Usually tourists frequent this place owing to the huge evening market that gathers here. You will find everything from clothes to wall hangings, jewelry and much more. The town of Kedarnath is also quite nearby from Gopeshwar. It is considered to be one of the best tourist places in Chamoli.
- Vasundhara Waterfalls: if you are looking for mesmerizing views of mountain peaks and glaciers, this is the place to visit. One of the beliefs that people hold is if you have committed a sin, the fall will divert away from you.
- Valley of flowers: Tourists especially come to Chamoli just to visit the valley of flowers. It is a NationalPark and is quite popular for alpine flowers and the huge variety of flora present her. The place is among the best vacation spots in Chamoli.
- Chopta: The place is also called as Mini Switzerland of Uttarakhand. It is one of the most popular spots for tourists who love adventure and exploration.
- Nandprayag: The place is situated 914m above sea level. Nandpayag is the sacred place which is situated at the confluence Nandakini and Alaknanda River. Nand Temple is situated on the shore of this river. The place is one of the 5 confluences of Alaknanda River.
- Auli: This place is best known for the paragliding and skiing and is situated 3050m above sea level. The longest cable car of Asia is situated at this place. Auli has also hosted SAF winter games in 2010. It offers a great view of snow laden Himalayas.
- Tunganath: The place holds the highest temple of Lord Shiva at an altitude of 3680m above sea level. The arm of Shiva is worshiped here and the place is one of the Panch Kedar. If you climb from Tunganath for an hour, you can experience the 360-degree panoramic view of giant Himalayas from the place Chandrashila.
- Hemkund Sahib: Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Guru of Sikhs meditated at this place for long years. Hemkunt means ‘the lake of snow’. The water of this lake is as cold as the snow. It is situated at an elevation of 4329m above sea level. It amidst various snow-capped peaks, which are collectively called Hemkunt Parvat. There is a star shaped Gurudwara near the Lake. Thousands of devotees visit this place every month. People have to cover a distance of 19Km by foot to reach Hemkunt Sahib. July to November are the best months to visit this place.
- Roopkund: Roopkund is a glacial lake which is at an elevation of around 5000 mts. It is perfect for people who want to indulge in adventure activities like hiking, backpacking, etc.
There are many popular places nearby Chamoli as well. Some of them include the famous Kedarnath temple, Nandprayog and Auli among others. If you are planning to visit there, these are definitely the must visit places in Chamoli.
Fairs (Melas) in Chamoli
Some of the melas that happen in the villages in Chamoli are as follows:
- Ansuya Mela: This is one of the most famous fairs in the district of Chamoli. It is a religious fair in the Mandal area of Chamoli.
- Gauchar Mela: It is among the major tourist attractions in Chamoli and is conducted every year for a week starting from 14th of November. Majorly, it is an industrial or a trade fair.
Shopping Hunt in Chamoli
Though Chamoli doesn’t offer anything you can take back home, but you can definitely buy the traditional jewelries from the local bazaars. You can even find the Tibetan Silver jewelry and semi-precious stones here.
Tips to follow before you visit Chamoli
These are the top tips before you go to Chamoli, follow them and have a great holidaying experience.
- Make sure that you are visiting Chamoli in the right season.
- Decide and plan on the places to see in Chamoli and go there with a proper schedule.
- Travel through the easiest, safest and the most convenient route in Chamoli.
- Glance through the best hotels in Chamoli or Chamoli resorts and choose the one which is affordable yet offers all the amenities you need.
- Go through the Chamoli holiday packages before you visit the place. It can offer you a complete package at a cheaper cost.
Best Hotels in Chamoli
There are various hotels and resorts in Chamoli but you need to choose the one which suits your needs the best. Also, the hotel should be in close proximity to all the tourist places in Chamoli.For all the tourists and visitors, finding cheap hotels in Chamoli is a difficult task to do. Thus, below are the places where you will find the best Chamoli hotel deals.
- Comfort INN – Rishikesh-Badrinath Highway, NH 58, Pipalkoti, Chamoli, Uttarakhand, India.
- Hotel Heaven – Badrinath Highway, Chamoli, Uttarakhand, India.
- Hotel Le Meadows – Mayapur (near Pipalkoti), Badrinath Highway, District Chamoli, Uttarakhand, India.
- Ashwamegh Lodge -Badrinath Marg, Nandprayag, Uttarakhand, India.
- Hotel Deva View Point – Near H.R.D.I., Badri-Kedar-Chopta by pass road mandal, Chamoli-246401, Uttarakhand, India
Higher Educational Institutes in India
Following are some of the best colleges in Chamoli district:
- Government Degree College, Talwari Dharali
- Government Post Graduate College, Gopeshwar
- Government Inter College, Savri Sain Sikot
- Institute Of Technology Gopeshwar
- Government Polytechnic, Gauchar
Hospitals in Chamoli
- Sayana Medical – Delhi Road, Chamoli, Uttarakhand 246424, India
- District Hospital – Gopeshwar, Uttarakhand 246401, India.
- TB Hospital – Chamoli District, Gopeshwar, Uttarakhand
- Government Hospital – Chamoli District, Karnaprayag, Uttarakhand
- Government Women Hospital – Chamoli District, Joshimath, Uttarakhand
There are various places to visit in Chamoli that you would remember for a long time. It is indeed among the most visited districts in the beautiful state of Uttarakhand. Many didn’t even know about the lovely place until a few years back but it is soon gaining the much-deserved popularity. Such brilliant locations are the reason why tourism in India is blooming at a faster pace.