Uttarakhand is a beautiful state having a lot of tourist attractions in its districts. One of the most popular and the largest districts in the state is Tehri Garhwal. It is surrounded by other famous districts well known for their tourism – Rudraprayag, Dehradun, Uttarkashi and Pauri Garhwal. The place is mostly visited by pilgrims and is also frequented by tourists who wish to explore the northern part of India including the Uttarakhand districts. It is probably one of the best holiday destinations in India with a rich history and a vibrant culture. The district has an approximate population of around 604,747 and they are all very friendly towards tourists which give an impetus to Tehri Garhwal tourism.
Tehri Garhwal History
The history of Tehri Garhwal dates back to 888 AD when the district was divided into 52 forts (garhs) and ruled by independent kings. Finally, the King Kanakpal Singh along with all his soldiers conquered the whole kingdom and ruled it for the coming 915 years right up to the year 1803. The place was ruled by many kings then after but only as a single kingdom. It is also believed that Lord Brahma meditated at this place before the creation of the universe. At present, the New Tehri City has the administrative headquarters of the Tehri district.
Geography of Tehri Garhwal
As you explore the place, you will find that a lot of portion of the district is covered by hilly tracts. This is true for most of the districts of Uttarakhand. If you look at the Tehri Garhwal map geographically, the district has a lot of forests and contributes largely to the ecological balance as well as the economy of the place. These forests produce items that are high in demand throughout the country and many people earn their daily bread selling these products. The total area of the district spans around 4421 sq. Km.
Climatic Conditions of Tehri Garhwal
One of the best things about the district is that the climate here is quite pleasant throughout the year. The maximum temperature goes around 36 Degree Celsius whereas the minimum is around 2 Degree Celsius. The best time to visit Tehri Garhwal is between March to June and September to October. You can also experience snowfall if you visit the place during winters. This is also the time when Garhwal tourism is at its peak.
Tehri Garhwal Tourism: The Best Tourist Attractions
The place is home to some of the best tourist spots in India and people often visit here to spend their holidays. The district has given a huge boost to Indian tourism as the place is constantly filled with tourists and visitors throughout the year. Even if you look at the Tehri Garhwal village list, there are many places worth visiting. Below are some of the places to visit in Tehri Garhwal which you will love to be at.
- Buda Kedar: It is one of the most popular temples in the district and is largely frequented by tourists. The temple lies at the confluence of Bal Ganga and Dharam Ganga. Locals believe that Lord Duryodhana offered tarpana at the same temple.
- DevPrayag: Devprayag is a town which has many popular places to visit including the two famous suspension bridges. Myth has it that a person here once got a glimpse of God and it is the reason behind the name. You will also find many temples, lakes, and rivers in the holy town of Devprayag urifying the essense of Incredible India.
- Khatling Glacier: There are very few glaciers in India and the Khatling Glacier is one of them. If you are a trekking enthusiast, you will love to hike on to the mountains. The trek begins from Ghuttu and will offer you some marvelous views while you are hiking. Tourists who come for Tehri Garhwal sightseeing must definitely visit the place to witness the alluring views.
- Narendra Nagar: Narendra Nagar was the capital of the former Garhwal district and is an amazing tourist spot. Almost all the Tehri Garhwal travel guide or agencies will show you this popular spot. You can have a splendid view of the River Ganga flowing at ferocious speeds.
- Tehri Dam: The reason why Tehri Dam is so famous is because it is the tallest dam in India and not only this it is one of the tallest dams in the world. Water sports enthusiasts will also have a great time here as you can indulge in Tehri Dam water sports.
Fairs and Festivals of Tehri Garhwal
Tourism in India has become more popular because of its fairs and festivals and Tehri Garhwal has many such festivals going around throughout the year. Some of the most popular festivals in the region are Chamba Thoulu, Gajtfa Thoulu, Dharu Mela, Suri-ka-Mela, Bandwal Gaon, Agram Thoulu, and Churiya Kheti Thoulu. A few of them are yearly and some of them are held monthly as well.
Shopping Hunt in Tehri Garhwal
Although there is no particular souvenir to take back from Tehri Garhwal, you will find various shopping places in the city. Most of the places are visited by locals to buy daily goods and supplies. However, tourists would love to shop at the jewelry and clothes stores – the place is famous for. Even Sarees and other women clothing are quite popular in the region. If you are a modern shopper, there are shopping malls too at various locations in the district.
Interesting Facts about Tehri Garhwal
- The Garh in Garhwal stands for the forts and there were 52 different forts ruled by different rulers in the past era.
- Landslides are frequent in the region and some of the most impacting landslides have happened in the district in the past.
- If you interact with the locals in Tehri, you will know about the famous Tehri Garhwal ghost stories which may horrify you.
Hotels and Resorts in Tehri Garhwal
There are a number of hotels in the district and if you are looking for cheap hotels in Tehri Garhwal, you will find them with ease. Since most of the tourists are on a shoe string budget while on their holidays, the availability of cheap hotels here gives them a respite. Below are Tehri Garhwal best hotels that most of the tourists trust for their stay during holidays.
- Ananda Spa In The Himalayas – The Palace Estate, Narendra Nagar, Tehri – Garhwal
- Grand Sirmaur Hotel – Chamba Tehri Garhwal, Chamba
- Hotel Shivansh Inn – Opposite Badrinath Highway Yoga Street Tapovan, Laxman Jhula, District: Tehri Garhwal
- Raj Resort – Badrinath Road, Near Laxman Jhula, Tapovan, Tehri Garhwal
- The Terraces, Kanatal – Chamba Mussoorie Highway, Dist Tehri Garhwal
Educational Institutions in Tehri Garhwal
Uttarakhand government has taken a keen interest in the development of top notch educational institutions like schools and colleges in the state and many of them can be found in Tehri Garhwal. Below are some of the institutions that are responsible for shaping all the young minds in the district.
- All Saints Convent School – New Tehri, Tehri Garhwal
- Degree College Chandrbadni (Naikhri) Tehri Garhwal – P.O. Pin, Jamnikhal
- Government Polytechnic – Narendra Nagar, Tehri Garhwal
- THDC Institute of Hydropower Engineering & Technology – Tehri Garhwal
- Degree College, Naikhari, Chandrabadni – Tehri Garhwal
Hospitals in Tehri Garhwal
There are abundant good hospitals in the district and all of them make use of the most advanced methods of science. Since this is a hilly region and quite infamous for landslides, you must know about the hospitals in the vicinity. Below are the best hospitals in the district of Tehri Garhwal.
- District Hospital – Narendra Nagar, Tehri Garhwal
- Narayan Hospital and Trauma Centre – Tehri Garhwal
- Christian Hospital – Mussoorie Road Chamba, T.G, Tehri Garhwal
- Smriti Nursing Home and Diagnostic Centre – Chamiyala Road, Near Sisu Mandir, Ghansali, Tehri Garhwal
- Sri Dev Suman Hospital – Narendra Nagar, Tehri Garhwal
If you are planning for a holiday to northern India, add Tehri Garhwal to your list as the place has some amazing tourist spots. The views from the glaciers are awesome and the whole picturesque location makes your visit worth it.