Pauri Garhwal is situated in the Uttarakhand State of India and is the main headquarter of the Pauri district. The region is surrounded by the districts of Nainital, Chamoli, Haridwar, Bijnor, Rudraprayag, Dehradun and Tehri Garhwal. Pauri is blessed with a diverse topography that comprises of both meadows and foothills. It is an important economic centre that helps to flourish the Uttarakhand tourism and tourism in India on a whole. It enhances the image of incredible India as a hotspot on the World map that attracts scholars, researchers and travelers from around the globe. The most spoken regional language in Pauri is Garhwali and the town holds an impressive average literacy rate of 80%.
Pauri Garhwal History
The history and origin of Pauri dates back to the 15th Century and its evolution became prominent through the empowerment of the Katyuri which was the first dynasty to rule over Uttarakhand. Later under the rule of the Kings of Chandpurgarh, the region was split into more than 64 principalities. The Kingdom of Ajaypal came to be known as Garhwal and the capital was shifted from Chandpur to Devalgarh. The region had been invaded time and again by the Kumaon, the Mughals, the Sikhs, the Rohillas and the Gorkhas. The Gorkha invasion holds massive importance in history of Pauri District. The invasion of the British in 1815 marked the end of the rule of Gorkhas in Garhwal.
Geography of Pauri Garhwal
The geography of Pauri is quite amazing. The region of Pauri has a location of 30.15°N 78.78°E on the World map. It is elevated 1,814 meters above the sea level on the slopes of the hills of Kandoliya. Due to the poor climatic conditions in Hilly areas and lack of proper infrastructure, it is very difficult to build industries in Pauri Garhwal but still various small and large scale industries are established here like SIDCUL. Otherwise the main occupation of the people here is agriculture. The major sources of employment are teaching, agriculture and army or Para military forces.
Climatic Conditions of Pauri Garhwal
The district of Pauri enjoys a pleasant climate and is mainly temperate to sub-temperate throughout the whole year. The region experiences very cold winters that extend from the month of December to February, while the months of March to June experience pleasantly warm summers followed by heavy rainfall in monsoon. Low to moderate snowfall is common in Pauri and is known for enhancing the natural beauty of the region. A weather that will please the tourist, Pauri is amazing.
Best Time to Visit Pauri Garhwal
The pleasant climatic conditions coupled with great scenic beauty makes the region of Pauri Garhwal a buzzing tourist spot all throughout the year. Different seasons cater to the travelling need of the tourists in a different way. The all round best season to make a trip to Pauri is from March to November. This is the best time to visit Pauri and thus, plan your trip wisely.
Pauri Garhwal Tourism: The Best Tourist Attractions
Pauri Garhwal tourism offers picturesque view of the snow clad Himalayas overlooking the valley and meadows are a classic example of natural beauty. The region of Pauri is rich in offering numerous examples of such beauty. Pauri is filled with places that pique the poets and adventurers at the same time. The following are some of the popular places to visit in Pauri:
- Kandoliya Temple: The temple is dedicated to the Bhumi Devta and is surrounded by dense pine forest. The temple attracts Lakhs of devotees every year during the feast called ‘Bhandara’, held in the months of May and June. The simplicity of the temple is its true charm.
- Kyunkaleshwar Temple: This temple is 8th Century old and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is also believed to have been built by Adi Shankrarcharya. The temple is among the popular temples of the region and is an important historic shrine. The premise of the temple is adorned with intricate stone carvings and designs.
- Jai Danda Nagraja Mandir: The temple of Danda Nagaraja is considered to be the sacred place among Gharwalis. It is located in the Kandwalsyon Patti, district of Pauri. It is worshipped by many people across the world. The best months to visit this temple are November to March. There is a strong belief about this temple that Lord Krishna stays in this temple and protects the people of the area from his blessings. People also believe that he informs the people if any mishap is going to occur.
- Methodist Church: This 100years old Church is situated in the lower region of Pauri and has historical origin attached to its name. It is a famous tourist spot in the region.
- Lansdowne: This place is one of the best examples of the divine Pauri hill station. It is elevated at an altitude of 1700m above the sea level. Pine forest and majestic oak tress surround this hill station. It is a breathtaking hill station and is one of the most favored romantic places for couple from all over the country. Lansdowne also serves as an abode for the adventurous souls who are interested in trekking. Its complete package makes it one of the best vacation spots in this district of Uttarakhand.
- Khirsu: It is among one of the most beautiful villages in Garhwal, located at the distance of 15km from Pauri. The village abounds in Apple Orchid & scenic gardens and is well known for providing a breathtaking view of the Himalayas.
- Rajaji National Park: This national park is stretched over 820 Km2 and covers 3 districts of Uttarakhand that are Pauri, Haridwar and Dehradun. This National Park is situated at the Shivalik range of Himalayas and it is opened for tourists till November 15 of the year. The Indian people have to spend Rs. 150 each for taking an entry in the Park and the foreign people have to pay Rs. 600 each. Jeep Safari is also conducted in the Park which will cost Rs. 1350 per person. Various Flora and Fauna species can be seen in the parks.
- Chaukhamba View Point: An amazing scenic spot which is located at a distance of 4km from the main town. It overlooks the majestic Idwal Valley and the picture perfect Chaukhamba Peak which is surrounded by dense Rhododendron Forest.
- Ransi Ground: The ground is an ideal spot for picnics and is situated amidst the scenic deodar trees. This tourist spot is situated at a distance of 2.5km from Pauri and happens to be among the highest points in the town. It is the second highest sports ground in the whole of Asia.
- ABBEY, Bungalow: This infamous bungalow is situated on the Abbot Hill of Lohaghat and is believed by the locals to be one of the most haunted places in Uttarakhand. This place has attracted the adventurous and brave hearts from time to time. Get ready to explore the ghost villages of Uttarakhand if you visit here.
- Doodhatoli: This place is covered with dense forests and situated at an altitude of 3100m. The last bus terminal from Pauri is Thalisain and Doodhatoli which is just 24 Km away from this place. You can reach there by trekking. The most beautiful view of Himalayas can be seen from this place.
- Tara Kund: This place is located at an altitude of 2200m. An ancient temple and a lake are the major attractions of this place. Localites celebrate Teej festival with great enthusiasm here.
There are so many other beautiful places to visit near Pauri Garhwal like Kanvasharam, Ekeshwar Mahadev, Binsar Mahadev, Shoonya Shikhar Asharam, Jwalpa Devi Temple, Kotdwar, and Srinagar.
Fairs (Melas) and Festivals of Pauri Garhwal
Fairs (melas) and festivals in Pauri have social significance that is closely interlinked with religious beliefs and mythological traditions. Tourism in Pauri Garhwal will make you fall in love with religion:
- Makar Shankranti or Uttarayni: It is celebrated as ‘Khichri Shankranti’ where Khichri made from Urad Dal and Rice is distributed among Brahmins. Fairs such as ‘Gindi’ are arranged in areas like Thalnadi and Dadamandi and many more.
- Basant Panchami: ‘Kshetrapal’ or ‘Bhumiya’ are worshipped on this very auspicious day. It is also known as ‘Sripanchami’.
- Vishuvat Shankranti: Fairs are organized on Vishuvat Shankranti at various places such as near Pokhal and Devalgarh. As the New Year starts on this very day, it is popularly celebrated as ‘Vikhoti’.
- Jadaukhand Festival: One of the most recognized festivals of Uttarakhand. This is an annual event and it celebrates one of the historical events of the Pauri Garhwal District.
- Baikunth-Chaturdashi Mela: On the very sacred day of Shukla Chaturdashi of the Kartik month, this fair is organized at the Kamleswar Mahadev Temple. It is a significant day for the childless couples as it is believed that Lord Shiva fulfils the devotee’s prayers.
Holi, Diwali, Shivratri and Vijayadhasmi are the majorly celebrated festivals in the region. Devi Fair, Salta Mahadev Fair, Aupakhal Fair, Sobhinath Fair, Lord Shiva Fair, Mansar Fair, Binsar Fair, Mundneshwar Fair, Satyawan Savitri Fair, Baisakhi Fair and Nandadevi Fair are most celebrated and extravagant fairs of the town.
Shopping Hunts and Movie Theatres in Pauri Garhwal
The town offers a plenty of hangout spots. A number of popular shopping malls and movie theatres are found in and nearby districts. The local markets at the Upper Bazaar, Lower Bazaar and Dhara Road are thriving economic area in the region which is admired as shopping destinations among locals and tourists as well. It will be surely a fun shopping hunt in the midst of alluring beauty.
Nature and religion are two important factors that have influenced and shaped the customs, traditions and culture of the land and its people. Folk music, folk songs, and folk dance form glorify the vibrant culture of Pauri district. The bhut katha or ghost folk story is also a part of folklore of the region. The most rampant folklore is about the ghost villages in Uttarakhand of the Rudraprayag district.
Interesting Facts about Pauri Garhwal
- The main occupation of the people living here is agriculture but there are some small and medium scale industries.
- Pauri is a store house of lush green sceneries.
- As per the Census report of 2011, Pauri Garhwal has a total population of 686,527.
- The Ramlila of Pauri is the oldest play in this region and it is still very popular among the folks.
Pauri Garhwal Travel Guide
A well planned trip is the key to ensure an awesome trip devoid of all chaos and confusion. The following can be taken as top tips before you go on a vacation to Pauri:
- Select the best time of the year for the trip.
- Select the most fitting medium of travel.
- Browse through various travel websites and compare the price of best hotel deals.
- Pre-Book your travel tickets and hotel rooms to ensure hassle free stay in the peak season.
- Prepare a list of the popular tourist attraction spots and other places you want to cover during your stay.
- Travel light but carry necessary items.
Hotels and Resorts in Pauri Garhwal
The scenic town is rich in exquisite sightseeing places which make it one of the best vacation spots in all Uttarakhand districts. The town attracts tourists throughout the year that ensures a good business for the hotel industry. An array of cheap hotels and resorts provide the tourists with multiple options of suitable hotel deals and fabulous holiday packages to choose from this holiday destination.
- V Resorts Pauri- Devprayag Road Pauri Garhwal, Pauri, 246001
- Swasteek Resort – Swasteek Camp, Village Thamana, Near G.B Pant Engineering College, Pauri-Devprayag Road, Pauri, 246192
- Hotel Sadbhavana – Rishikesh Road, Gumkhal, 246128
- Hotel Sun N Snow – NH 119, Pauri Gadwal, 246001
- Hotel Taj Himalay Khirsu – Khirsu Chowkalya, Pauri Garhwal, Khirsu, 246147
Educational Institutes in Pauri Garhwal
Many of the recognized personages have gained knowledge from the best educational institutes of Pauri:
- Govind Ballabh Pant Engineering College: Ghurdauri, Pauri, Garhwal, 246194
- Uttarakhand University of Horticulture and Forestry: Bharsar, District Pauri Garhwal, Pauri, 246123
- National Institute of Technology246001: NH 58, Srinagar, Uttarakhand 246174
- Government Polytechnic Srinagar: Rishikesh Road, Srinagar, Pauri Garhwal, 246174
- Veer Chandra Singh Garhwali Government Medical Science & Research: Pauri, Srinagar, 190001
Hospitals in Pauri Garhwal
If you fall sick in Pauri then do not worry as there are some best hospitals to treat you: The best among the rest are:
- Shyam Mother And Child Care Center: Johnpur (Near Happy Home School), Kotdwara, (Garhwal), Pauri Garhwal
- Satpuli Hospital: Chamolisain, Bhangat Road, Satpuli, Satpuli, Pauri-Garhwal, 246172
- Bisht Orthopaedic Centre: Badrinath Marg, Kotdwar, Pauri Garhwal
- Shyam Child Care & Maternity Centre: Kotdwara, Degree College Road, Kotdwara, Pauri Garhwal
- Maheshwari Nursing Home: Kotdwara, Najibabad Road, Kashirampur, Pauri Garhwal
Indian tourism is promoting Pauri Garhwal in all the possible ways. Enough of listening to stories, it is time to unlock every corner and tourist attractions of Pauri for a better experience. Currently, it is entitled as one of the best tourist places and soon it will face an increase in the number of tourists visiting every year. From romantic places for couples to interesting facts about Pauri Garhwal, you will fall in love with the exclusive beauty of nature.