The beautiful city of Dehradun is one of the oldest cities in India. This Himalayan terrain is the capital of the state of Uttarakhand and is a popular holiday destination for its picturesque location and breathtaking landscapes. It is looked forward as a counter magnet of Delhi and most of the development work has been on peak in the city. The district is renowned for the variety of natural resources found here. It also hosts the best training centers and schools of India. The city enjoys an average literacy rate of 89.32%. It is one of the greatest short tour destinations for people of Northern India.
The history of this Uttarakhand district states that the city owes its name to Shri Ram Rai, the seventh Sikh Guru. Shri Ram Rai had set up a camp or ‘dera’ in the valley or ‘dun’ in the 17th century. Later the valley came to known as Dehradun. Dehradun is one of the most important districts of Uttarakhand, whose cultures, rituals and traditions are highly influenced by the customs of the people of Garhwal villages, owing to its geographical proximity to the region of Garhwal. The main regional languages of the region are Garhwali and Hindi. The religious text named Skanda Purana, has mentioned about Dun being a part of the famous region, Kedar Khand, a place where Lord Shiva abodes. It is the place where Dronacharaya of the Mahabharata also resided and thus, it was named as Drona-Nagri.
Geography of Dehradun
The major portion of this beautiful city lies in the Doon valley and is elevated at a general height of 450 m above the sea level. Dehradun is bordered by the ranges of majestic Himalayan Mountains in the North, with the Shivalik in the South. The city has the river Ganga flowing from its East and river Yamuna flowing from its West. Dehradun lies between the latitudes 29° 58′ N and 31° 2′ N and the longitudes 77° 34′ E and 78° 18′ E.
Climatic Conditions of Dehradun
- The climate of Dehradun is temperate and the seasons vary one another in terms of temperature and rainfall, owing to its location. The city is blessed with warm summers, crisp monsoons and cool winters.
- The average maximum temperature from March to June is 35 degree Celsius, while the months of the monsoon that extend from July to September experiencing heavy to moderate rainfall.
- The winter months extend from December to February with an average minimum temperature being 3 degree Celsius.
Best Time to Visit Dehradun
The city of Dehradun is blessed with a distinguished weather, a feature that draws tourists from all around the country and abroad all throughout the year. If you have to pinpoint a particular time to visit this charming land, do it according to your need.
The months from July to September can be deemed suitable for making short trips and for soaking in the scenic beauty of the landscapes, while the cool climate that extends from the months of October to March is ideal for honeymoon. All in all, the months extending from June to December are suitable for sightseeing and most forms of outdoor activities.
Dehradun Tourism: The Best Tourist Attractions
Dehradun is one of the most popular holiday destinations that have aided the overall tourism in India. The fact that the city is a well connected cause of its nearness to the railways, roadways and airways benefits the entire Uttarakhand tourism. The following are some of the popular tourist places:
- Gucchu Pani (Robber’s Cave): The Robber’s Cave is a popular lovers point and is situated at a distance of 8 kms from Dehradun near Anarwala village. It is one of the best vacation spots in the city.
- Jwalaji Temple: The place is also called as Benog Hill. The temple has Goddess Durga as the main deity. It is 2104 m above sea level and just 9 kms on west of Mussoorie. It is surrounded by thick forest and you can experience a beautiful view of Doon valley- the Yamuna view.
- Tapkeshwar Temple: This temple is located at a distance of 5.5 kms from the city and is one of the popular temples of the region. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is renowned for its ancient Shivling.
- Buddha Temple: The Tibetan Buddha temple was constructed in the year 1965 and is known for its beautiful interiors and marvelous architecture. It is claimed to be the most popular among Dehradun sightseeing places.
- Malsi Deer Park: It is a zoological garden and located at a distance of 10 km from the Dehradun. Its location is set in the Shivalik mountain range. The two horned deer is a major attraction in this park.
- Ram Rai Gurudwara: This religious spot was constructed by the 7th Sikh guru, Shree Ram Rai in the 17th century. This place has immense spiritual and historical importance. This place is the center of the Jhanda festival and fair.
- Sahastradhara: It is a family theme park located at a distance of 15 kms from the city near the picturesque Sahastradhara waterfalls. This place is situated on a hill top and offers a breathtaking 360 degree view of the entire valley.
- Bhadraj Temple: The temple has the main deity as brother of Lord Krishna- Lord BalBhadra. The prominent view of Doon valley and Chakrata ranges can be viewed from this place. It is situated just 15 Kilometer away from Dehradun.
- Lachhiwala: The place is situated in suburbs of city, where the fresh water comes from stream. This stream enters to different pools that are spread to 700m area and the height of these pools range from 4ft to 7ft.
- Kalinga War Memorial: It is situated at Sahastradhara Road, which is the only war memorial of the world that was erected by British to honor their foe-Gorkhas.
- Museum, Forest Research Institute: It is one of the largest Forest Research institutes in the country. The timings of its opening are 9 am to 1 pm and 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm. Your entry is completely free and no indoor photography is allowed here.
- Chetwoode Hall, the Indian Military Academy: The museum credits and displays collection of military artifacts of 20th century.
- Clock Tower: It is on Rajpur road and was built by British. It remains the symbol of downtown area.
- Sai Darbar Temple: The temple is situated on the Rajpur road and is a highly spiritual place. It is visited by people across the country.
- The Char Siddhs: It comprises of 4 temples around the city- Lakshman Siddh, Kalu Siddh, Manak Siddh, and Madu Siddh. It is believed that if you visit all the four temples in one day then your wish will be fulfilled.
Other popular tourist attraction spots in and near Dehradun include the Tiger Falls, Mindrolling Monastery, Mussoorie, Deodar, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dakpathar, and Rajaji National Park.
Fairs and Festivals to Rejoice In Dehradun
Fairs are an integral part of the culture and tradition of the land. A number of popular fairs (melas) are organized on days of festivals or on other important dates; fairs like:
- Tapkeshwar Fair: The Tapkeshwar Temple is of Lord Shiva and the fair is held every year on the very auspicious day of Shivratri.
- Jhanda Fair: It basically celebrates the arrival of the Sikh Guru, Guru Ram Rai. Back in 1699, Guru Ram Rai has hoisted the flag in Guru Ram Rai Durbar, a gurudwara which he had built. Even now, the main ritual of ‘hoisting the flag’ is done on the 6th day after the Holi. It is celebrated in March or April.
- LaxmanSidh Fair: It is a local fair that is celebrated on every Saturday but the last Sunday of the month of April is really special. It is a religious fair.
- Lakhawar Fair: It is held in a small town named Lakhawar in the month of September and October to exhibit the praise-worthy art and culture of the popular Garhwal tribes. The fair mostly includes sporting events, functions, and dance and music performances.
- Mahasu Devta Fair: The very popular religious fair of the local tribes, the fair is held in the month of August. The temple is situated at Hanol on the Tuini-Mori road.
- Bissu Fair: The fair is organized in the Santoori Devi Temple every year. The grand festival displays the cultural heritage of the place.
These are some of the popular fairs that attract locals and tourists to its spot alike.
Shopping Hunt in Dehradun
The city offers plenty of places to visit for a shopping spree. Rajpur Road and Paltan Bazaar can be rightfully called the economic heart of the city. Crossroad Mall and Pacific Mall are two of the popular malls, Pacific Mall being the current largest in the city. Indira Market and Tibetan Market are popular shopping destinations among the locals and tourists alike.
Tips to Follow before You Go to Dehradun
Thorough planning and adequate information are indispensable part of a comfortable and hassle free trip. It is essential to plan your trip in advance to minimize the chances of unnecessary chaos and troubles. The following are some general tips that ensure a hassle free trip:
- Choose the best time of the year to set out on your trip.
- Choose the most convenient mode of transportation.
- Check out the websites of the listed hotels to land onto the best hotel deals offered by them.
- Book your tickets and hotel in advance to avoid rush and confusion in the peak season.
- Travel light but carry the essentials.
- Make a list of the popular tourist attraction spots you want to visit.
The Hotels in Dehradun
The city abounds with sightseeing place, which draws a strong number of tourists every year ensuring a thriving hotel industry. The availability of multiple cheap hotels, resorts and lodging facilities enables the tourists to choose their most suitable hotel with fabulous holiday packages. The following are some of the popular hotels in Dehradun:
- Moti Mahal, Dehradun, (1.5 km to city centre)
- Ashrey, Dehradun, (0.7 km to city centre)
- Pacific, Dehradun, (2.0 km to city centre)
- Grand Legacy, Dehradun, (2.0 km to city centre)
- Riverstone Cottages, Dehradun, (2.5 km to city centre)
- Saffron Leaf, Dehradun, (2.3 km to city centre)
- Hotel Relax, Dehradun, (1.0 km to city centre)
- Hotel M J Residency, Dehradun, (1.5 km to city centre)
- Crown Royale, Dehradun, (2.4 km to city centre)
Higher Educational Institution in Dehradun
Dehradun has some of the popular educational institutions where recognized personalities have studied. Some of them are:
- Doon University: P.O. Ajabpur,, Mothrowala Road, Doon University Campus, Banjarawala, Kedarpur, Uttarakhand 248001
- Graphic Era University: 566/6, Bell Road, Society Area, Clement Town, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248002
- Uttaranchal University: Arcadia Grant, Chandanwari, Premnagar, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248007
- IMS Unison University: Makkawala Greens, Mussoorie Diversion Road, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248009
- DIT University: Mussoorie Diversion Road, Makkawala, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248009
Hospitals in Dehradun
Even if you face severe illness, the well-equipped hospitals of Dehradun are:
- Himalayan Institute Hospital: Adjacent Airport Swami Rama Nagar, Joly Grant, Sangatiya Walakhur, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248140
- Navjyoti Eye Hospital: Near LIC building, Haridwar Road, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
- Shri Mahant Indiresh Hospital: Industrial Area, Govt.Industrial Estate, Patel Nagar, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
- Kanishk Hospital: I.S.B.T Road, Main Haridwar Bypass Road, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
- Fortis Escorts Hospital: Coronation Hospital, 2nd Floor, Coronation Hospital, Curzon Road, Dalanwala, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
Indian tourism has already promoted Dehradun’s unrealistic beauty to the world and thus, every people wish to be a part of this extravagant journey with the tourism of Dehradun. Uttarakhand tourism has gained popularity over years for its amazing services to its customers. Have some quality time in the love huts and make the best memories in that beautiful scenario.