The state of Uttar Pradesh is in the heart of India and is widely renowned for being the origin of various cultures and religions that our incredible India boasts of. It also has the mythological roots of various stories and events that have happened here thousands of years ago. One of the Seven Wonders of the World Taj Mahal is also situated in Agra, Uttar Pradesh. It has given a huge boost to the Indian tourism through the multitude of exquisite tourist destinations in the state. Lucknow is the capital of Uttar Pradesh with a city population of 2.1 million and consists of many tourist spots. The population of the state is around 204.2 million which makes it one of the most populous states in India. Let’s explore more about the state to see what it has to offer for tourists.
History of Uttar Pradesh – The Formation
Although the history of the state dates back to 1937 when it was declared as a separate state but its origin is said to happen almost 85,000 years ago. Indians have a lot of mythological as well as religious beliefs with regards to various places in the state. At the beginning around 1500 BC, the place had Indus valley civilization and Harappan culture which later gave way to the Iron age that went on for a long time. Uttar Pradesh was a bigger state before its division from Uttarakhand on November 9 in the year 2000.
Geography of Uttar Pradesh
When regards to the geography UP is the fourth largest state in the country and is currently the most populated state in India. The state shares its borders with many different states including Uttarakhand, Haryana, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand. Most of the villages in the state are currently in a developing stage whereas some of the modern towns like Allahabad, Varanasi, Agra, and Lucknow provide all the amenities to its populace as well as tourists. The state is divided into 316 different Tehsils and ranks 8th in the number of sub districts in any Indian state.
Biodiversity of Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh has a vibrant ecosystem for animals and wildlife creatures. Some of the popular wildlife sanctuary that tourists love to visit here includes Dudhwa Wildlife Sanctuary and Chambal Wildlife sanctuary. The state is rich in biodiversity and boasts of various rare and exotic animals as well as birds. Tourists often visit these sanctuaries to have a good time during their holidays. It also has a rich biodiversity which includes around 56 species of mammals along with 552 different species of birds.
Climatic Conditions of Uttar Pradesh
Primarily, the climate of Uttar Pradesh is tropical monsoon which is quite pleasant. However, the climatic conditions are very extreme here as it goes down to 3 to 4 Degree Celsius in winters and rises up to 45 Degrees in the months of May and June. The weather is terrible during the summers and you must avoid visiting here during this season. Rains occur in the months of July to September. The best time to visit UP is in the months of October and March as this is the period when the weather is pleasant and also a lot of fairs and festivals are organized here.
Uttar Pradesh Culture
The culture of Uttar Pradesh is synonymous to India’s culture which is deeply rooted in regional literature, music, theater, regional songs, cinema and much more. Majorly, dance and music has been in the traditions of the state since a long time. Most of the rituals and customs that India follows seem to have originated from Uttar Pradesh itself. Its primary regional language is Bhojpuri with Hindi spoken widely all over the place.
Interesting Facts about Uttar Pradesh
- Varanasi, one of the most popular cities here, is also known as the Cultural Capital of India.
- Some of the most powerful kingdoms and empires were located here in the past era including Magadh, Kushan, Mughals and much more.
- It is home to some of the most holy rivers in India including Ganga, Yamuna, Ramganga and many more.
- Taj Mahal which is one of the 7 Wonders of the World is located in Uttar Pradesh.
- Almost half of the total sugarcane production happens in Uttar Pradesh and for the same reason, it is also known as the Sugar Bowl of India.
- Uttar Pradesh is also known as the land of action because Gautam Buddha said it to be his karm bhoomi. Surprisingly, he also gave his first sermon at Sarnath which is a historical place.
- If you indulge in conversation with the villagers here, they will tell you about fascinating ghost stories which seem quite interesting and scary as well.
Uttar Pradesh Tourism: Best Tourist Attractions
Uttar Pradesh boasts of various sightseeing places and many of them are yet unexplored. You will find the full range of the best holiday destinations in India while you are here. Let’s explore the best tourist attractions as well as the popular places to visit in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
- Tourist Spots in Uttar Pradesh: There are numerous tourist places in Uttar Pradesh including a number of world heritage sites. Taj Mahal is among the most popular monument in the world and you must not miss out on it while on your visit to UP. This has given a huge rise to tourism in Uttar Pradesh and attracts many foreign tourists too. Taj Mahal is also regarded as one of the best romantic places for couples as it is an epitome of love. People often visit the beautiful lakes including the Keetham Lake, Moti Jheel and many others. One can also find various astounding ghats in Varanasi as well as in other places in Uttar Pradesh.
- Hill Stations in Uttar Pradesh: Kamadgiri and Lakshman Pahari are some famous Uttar Pradesh hill stations that tourists frequently visit. Some of the villages here are also said to be haunted places but that increases the thrill of visiting them even more. If you are interested in some adventure activities, you can also head for trekking places at various locations here.
- Temples in Uttar Pradesh: Some of the most famous temples of India are located in Uttar Pradesh. Uttar Pradesh tourism has got a huge boost due to the presence of so many temples. The northern side of India is populated with temples dating back to previous centuries. Shri Kashi Temple as well as the Bankey Bihari Temple is visited by a large number of people.
There are various hotels and top notch resorts which will make your stay comfortable and pleasant in Uttar Pradesh. You can also head to shopping malls if you want to take back some souvenirs from your visit here.
Uttar Pradesh Cuisines
Uttar Pradesh mostly comprises of the authentic North Indian cuisines that we usually eat in restaurants. Both, vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is equally popular here. You will also find Awadhi and Mughlai cuisines throughout the state. There are various favorite sweet dishes which one can have here including halwa, laddu, imarti, petha, jalebi, and much more. Lucknow is famous for its non-veg food – Dum Biryani.
Major Festivals in Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh has a vibrant festive culture with most of the occasions celebrated with full fanfare. The celebrations for these festivals are at a different level altogether. Some of the most popular festivals include Holi, Diwali and Dussehra. Even Ram Leela happening at various locations gathers a huge crowd. The folk dance themes that depict the love between Radha and Krishna are also quite popular here. These festivals have given a huge rise to Uttar Pradesh tourism in the past few years.
Fairs in Uttar Pradesh
Uttar Pradesh is widely known for the fairs and festivals held here. Some of its fairs are popular not only in the state but everywhere in the country. These are the popular fairs held in Uttar Pradesh.
- Kumbh Mela: It is one of the most popular events that are held at Allahabad after every 12 years. People from around the country visit the state just to attend the mega fair. The mela witness a huge crowd and it is a lifetime experience for those who visit it.
- Khichari Mela: The fair is held every Makar Sankranti in Gorakhpur. People from far off places come here to offer khichdi in the temple which is a ritual.
- Ramayan Mela: Ramayan Mela is a highly popular fair that is held twice every year, once in February and then in December. If you are at Ayodhya during these months, make sure to visit the Mela.
- Kailash Fair: Kailash Fair is held every year in the city of Agra. It takes place in the month of August and receives a humongous response.
Clothing Trends in Uttar Pradesh
The clothing trends of the people in Uttar Pradesh are quite simple and resonate with the rest of the country. Women mostly prefer wearing traditional dresses like Sarees whereas the men wear Lungis or Dhotis on a daily basis. Even Salwar Kameez and Kurta Pajamas are clothes that match the ethnicity and characteristics of the people here and thus, these clothes are highly preferred.
If you ever happen to visit the state, make sure to have a good travel guide with you that can help you explore everything UP has to offer. The growth, development as well as the literacy rate is staggering here and we will see a lot of contribution of UP in the progression of India. Many latest fashion trends also emerge from here and spread throughout the country. In the days to come, it will definitely become one of the best states in India, not only for tourists but also for the people living there.
List of Districts in Uttar Pradesh
|29||Gautam Buddha Nagar|
|36||Hathras (Mahamaya Nagar)|
|40||Jyotiba Phule Nagar|
|42||Kanpur Dehat (Ramabai Nagar)|
|59||Panchsheel Nagar district (Hapur)|
|65||Sant Kabir Nagar|
|66||Sant Ravidas Nagar|