Explore the unattended beauties of nature by planning your trip to the very popular South Goa. The scenic beauties it offers will leave the visitors awestruck. It is due to the influence of foreign culture that South Goa still tops the list of the best tourist destinations. In the north, South Goa is bound by North Goa and Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka state in south and east. It is the Arabian Sea that is on the western coast. North Goa and South Goa are two districts that as a whole make Goa.
South Goa has a population of 639,962 as claimed by 2011 census, thus, a population density of 330/km2 (840/sq mi). There has been a major growth in the population rate over the decade 2001-2011, i.e., 8.63%. The mother tongue of the inhabitants of South Goa is Konkani which is spoken by a majority of the people. You can even hear some individuals interacting in Marathi but the number is very less. English and Hindi are understood by maximum people, however, they are just foreign languages practiced in the buzzing South Goa. Even Portuguese is practiced but by a very less number of people.
South Goa History
The colonization of Goa by the Portuguese started during the 1510AD and continued till 17th and 18th centuries. It was due to this colonization Goa was annexed by India in 19th December 1961. South Goa is blessed with different cultures that bring out the true essence of this dreamland. It is divided into three main subdivisions namely – Margao, Mormugao (Vasco da Gama), and Quepem. Mormugao, Salcete (Margao), Quepem, Canacona (Chaudi), Sanguem, and Dharbandora are the six taluks of South Goa and the administrative head quarters is in Margao. You will have some exotic moments in this land that believes in celebration.
Geography of South Goa
Being a district of the alluring Goa, the South Goa extends till an area of 1,966 km². The geographical location of the South Goa is easily tracked from its longitudes and latitudes. 15.1177° N is the latitude while 74.1240° E is the longitude of South Goa.
Climatic Conditions in South Goa
The land of golden beaches experiences a tropical monsoon climate under the Köppen climate classification as it is situated in the tropical zone and is near the Arabian Sea. South Goa climate is temperate and most of the times, there is excess of humidity coupled with the hot weather. May is the hottest month and the average day temperatures reach up to 35 °C (95 °F). Monsoon enters South Goa by June and extends till September. It has the shortest winters that have pretty pleasant night with a temperature of 21°C (70 °F) and sweatless days having an average temperature of 28°C (82°F).
Tourist Attractions in South Goa: The Best Vacation Spots
Indian Tourism has flourished here and these amazing locations are completes the South Goa sight-seeing. The followings are:
- Colva: The pride of Salcete, this South Goa beach has numerous visitors every year. It is a perfect party destination where you can set full moon parties at definite intervals. If you want to do something unusual, then go for the Dolphin sighting as soon as the sun is up. The crowd here is full of energy.
- Vasco Da Gama: A small town named after the popular Portuguese explorer Vasco Da Gama, the town is famous for illegal practices. The mysterious town with unusual happenings evokes interests in the mind of the tourists. However, it also has beautiful Baina Beach and also allows snorkeling.
- Benaulim: The swaying palm and coconut trees will let you take a sunbath in this gorgeous beach and have some tans. It serves scrumptious sea-foods and the Dolphin sight-seeing will give peace to your mind.
- Chandor: The sleepy town has the most amazing relic that manifests the Portuguese architecture of the ancient times. It is a sort of mansion that also hosts weddings and parties. The town also has exclusive highlights such as Feast of Three Kings (January 6th), Fernandes House, and Achies Art Gallery.
- Arrosim: If you are trying to seek solitude in South Goa, Arrosim can serve your purpose. The tranquility of the place will just rejuvenate your soul. Abhyanga, a four-hand massage session can be availed from any high-end resort. You will enjoy surfing through the vintage furniture and eating delicious dishes.
- Patnem: One of the best tourist places in Goa, Patnem is all about those beach shacks where you can spend some quality time. Surfing and swimming are its prime attractions and the flawless beauty will make you fall in love with the place.
- Majorda: It is the hub for all the young crowds who want to have some unforgettable times. It is claimed that Majorda taught people to bake the delicious European breads and thus, the cookies and cakes cannot be missed. The ancient church, Mae De Deus was built in 1588 A.D. and is a popular tourist attraction of South Goa.
- Madgaon Municipal Council: A popular market of South Goa that has numerous visitors every day, MMC market has various things to offer. From the masalas to the Sukha Bombil (dried Bombay Duck), it is a one stop destination for different types of spices and edibles. You must visit this market when you are stopping in South Goa.
Nearest Places to Visit in South Goa
The visitors will never get tired of visiting the tourist places of Goa and when it comes to South Goa, there are uncountable destinations. Varca, Cavelossim and Colomb are some other popular sites whereas if you are looking for exploring the bygone Portuguese culture, Loutolim has all those historic buffs.
Best Hotels in South Goa
There are several cheap hotels in South Goa that can render comfortable stays. You can also check the Goa Holiday Packages that guarantee best South Goa Hotels which also come with exclusive amenities. Here is the list of the best hotels in South Goa:
- Park Hyatt Goa Resort and Spa – Arossim Beach Road, Cansaulim, South Goa – 403712
(Contact Number: 0832 272 1234)
- Taj Exotica – Calwaddo, Salcete, Benaulim, Goa – 403716
(Contact Number: 0832 668 3333)
- Ramada Caravela Beach Resort – Varca, Salcete, Margao, Goa – 403721
(Contact Number: 0832 669 5000)
- The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort & Casino – Pedda Varca, Goa – 403721
(Contact Number: 0832 272 7272)
- Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Goa – 30/3, Acsona Waddo, Uttorda Beach, Salcette, Goa – 403713
(Contact Number: 0832 675 1000)
- MAYFAIR Hideaway Spa Resort, Goa – Rangali, Velim, Betul, Goa – 403723
(Contact Number: 0832 272 1111)
- The Tubki Resort – House No.332/G, Patnem- palolem beach road, Patnem, palolem, Canacona, GA-403702 (Contact Number: 0832 264 3888)
- The Treehouse Blue – Curilo, Pacheco Vaddo, Majorda Salcete, Margao, Goa 403713
(Contact Number: 091300 62451)
- Radisson Blu Resort – Near Cavelossim Beach, Salcette, Goa 403731
(Contact Number: 0832 672 6666)
Be it a luxurious stay or a visit full of events, these resorts and hotels can serve your purpose well. The resorts in South Goa have gained prominence beside all those traditional hotels in the popular South Goa destinations. You are surely going to create some unforgettable memories.
Higher Educational Institutes in South Goa
People not always visit South Goa with the purpose of spending some glorious days but sometimes also for the purpose of pursuing higher education. The best education Institutes in South Goa are:
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science – NH 17B Bypass Road, Zuarinagar, Sancoale, Goa – 403726 (Contact Number: 0832 258 0101)
- Parvatibai Chowgule College of Arts & Science –Old Library Chow, College Building, Gogol, Margao, Goa – 403602 (Contact Number: 0832 275 9504)
- Carmel College For Women – Nuvem (Contact Number: 0832 279 0714)
- Govind Ramnath Kare College of Law –G R Kare Road, Tansor, Comba, Margao, G R Kare Road, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 270 5884)
- Padre Conceicao College of Engineering – Agnel Technical Education Complex, Agnelgan, Verna, Goa – 403722 (Contact Number: 0832 279 1266)
- Don Bosco College Of Engineering – Fatorda, Margao, Goa – 403001 (Contact Number:0832 274 3944)
- Rosary College of Arts and Commerce – Butica, Navelim, Salcete, Goa – 403707 (Contact Number: 094041 50604)
- MES College – Zuarinagar, Vasco da Gama, Goa – 403726 (Contact Number: 0832 255 5772)
- Shree Mallikarjun College Of Arts And Commerce – Delem Campus, Canacona, Canacona, Goa – 403702 (Contact Number: 0832 263 3422)
Hospitals in South Goa
Sometimes uncertain situations might take place while you are enjoying your vacations. The recognized hospitals of South Goa are a boon for both the natives and the tourists. The trustworthy hospitals of South Goa are:
- NUSI Wockhardt Hospital, Goa – Edapally-Panvel Highway, Near Indian Oil Petrol Bunk, Salcete, Cuncolim, Goa – 403703 (Contact Number: 0832 668 4444)
- Apollo Victor Hospital – Station Malbhat, Near Carmelite Monastery, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 672 8888)
- Kantak Ajit – Rosadel Enclave, Old Market, Near District Court, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 270 3892)
- Trimurti General Hospital – Las Palmas Housing Estate, Margao, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 270 0707)
- Goa Ayurvedic Hospital – Behind Railway Next to, Apollo Victor Hospital, Station Road, Malbhat, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 272 6080)
- Gracias Maternity Hospital- Near Police Station, M Menezes Road, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 273 0958)
- Royal Hospital – Aquem Alto, Margao, Goa – 403601 (Contact Number: 0832 273 7722)
Tourism in India has developed over the years and South Goa has witnessed numerous visitors every season for over a decade now. The admixture of various culture and adventurous activities, South Goa has been favourite of many. Be away from the chaotic life for few days and enjoy the waves of South Goa.